113. Baking it Down - S-E-Oh My
May 23, 2023
Heather and Corrie Miracle
🕵️ S-E-Oh My
We've talked "SEO" on previous podcasts, but it's always great to revisit the cold audience maker by touching on four points we think will help you reach more search engine traffic.
(Search engines = placed where you can look up words and find results. Google is currently the biggest search engine in the world.)
This is SEO in a Google Search Engine Results Page (also known as a S-E-R-P) - see those white arrows? Those are all places where SEO can drive you more leads. But SEO is more than just Google - and in this week's podcast, we cover this topic to better explain this business branding buzzword.
What is SEO?
- 🍕 Definition: let's say you want pizza but you're out of town. What do you do? Search "Pizza Places Near Me." The results that your phone shows you? Yeah - that's SEO. Ever wonder how Google chooses which business shows up first?
- 🍕 How it Works: You optimize your website so that the "robot" (called crawlers) can better understand the content and, when someone googles something that your website has the answer to, Google will pull up your website first!
- 🍕 How it can Benefit You: keywords are the phrases you type into Google. The intent behind those keywords determines if people are planning to spend their money. If someone searched "how to bake sugar cookies," they probably aren't looking to pay you to bake them. But if someone searches for "sugar cookie bakery near me," often this results in an online lead - these are called money keywords because people who search for this word will likely spend that cold, hard casheesh.
Places to Consider SEO
- 🕸 Website: while you can't own the internet, having your own website is about as close as you can get. And search engines love personal websites! If you ever consider hiring an SEO (they are kind of expensive - heads up), they'll likely start by asking you if you have a website - yes, it's that important.
- 🕸 TikTok: TikTok (as long as it isn't banned) is one of the fastest-growing search engines because of its recent addition of SEO-optimized captions that are searchable. With a quick search, you can find hundreds of videos walking you through how to check your oil, change a tire, or install an under-sink p-trap. You can also find a baker offering local fun things to do (hint hint).
- 🕸 Reviews: Did you know that Google now crawls user reviews in Google Maps? Yep - reviews and websites can now help your GBP (Google Business Profile) show up in maps - just because it contains the right keyword (even if you're a service-area and not a brick-and-mortar).
- 🕸 Google My Business: Google Business Profiles (or GMBs) can also be search engine optimized - often by filling out the many options for text, adding photos, and posting regular updates. More content = king when it comes to GBPs.
- 🕸 Eventbrite (Directories):
Rebranding SEO Considerations
- 👍 Google Search: ranking in Google takes a multi-faceted approach. Ranking a website, getting a Google Business Profile, securing social profiles, and writing quality content (more on that in a second).
- 👍 Social Media: Social can be optimized too (remember - if you can search on it you can optimize for it). Filling out your Facebook page's about section, connecting social media accounts, and writing content that contains keywords are all ways to SEO your social profiles.
- 👍 Caching / Browser History: Do a dirty check on your SEO efforts by either clearing your browsing history and cache or by searching in an Incognito Bro